Friday, August 20, 2010

Roger Brown





I wasn't initially attracted to American artist Roger Brown's work. I appreciate his patterns but other than that I don't really have any other emotional response to the pieces.
European surrealism seems to have been an inspiration for his pieces. I can see the influences but I also think that he had to focus on more abstractions. He focuses a lot on shape (organic and geometric) and inserts a few figures among his shapes. His work is often panoramic and a bit more flat.

I found research on how his pieces were very personal and whatnot but to me it's just hard to see the personality in his pieces. The only way I could see that is if you put yourself in the painting. the forest above could be a forest in any neighborhood. Overall his work just isn't very inspiring to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment