Friday, August 20, 2010

Kim Jones





Kim Jones is known more for his performance artwork than his work pictured here. I was shocked to find out though that in one his performances he set 3 live rats on fire. After finding this out and looking more at some of his sculptural or 3d pieces I realized that this man is a little crazy. I saw that he has a collection of colored "scalps" which is like the hair attatched to the scalp as if it had been ripped off. This man scares me a bit. I do admire though his boldness and the emotion that he is able to evoke out of me through his pieces.

From what I've researched the purpose of Jone's pieces above are to show the suffering of soldiers at war and humans alone. Like his mud man character his characters seem to be trapped or held down by some mass or growth around them. Jones is working on a subconscious level tapping into sexuality, fear, and violence. It's human nature to fight.

Jone's works above are most likely mixed media. Some feature photographs combined or altered.

No comments:

Post a Comment