Friday, August 20, 2010

Kojo Griffin






Kojo Griffin is actually from Virginia which I found interesting but I believe that he is based in Georgia. Most of Griffins pieces are paintings or drawings that try to express "the interdependency of people's actions, and the consequences when people fail to understand the potential results of their actions." I immediately saw this in his pieces, especially his pieces with the female and male figures. Initially I didn't really like his work but I do like the emotion that his pieces evoked in me. It was more sadness than anything I think because I could relate to them. I was able to put myself in the figures' positions. In that way I would say Griffin is pretty successful.
Most of Griffin's figures seem to be some mix of animal and human. To me this makes them more ambiguous and therefore relateable but in another sense I think this makes the figures more "animalistic" and primal such as many human emotions are. Overall I think his works focus more on psychology than the other artists I have researched.

No comments:

Post a Comment