Friday, August 20, 2010

Amy Cutler






Let me just say I LOVE her stuff! it's so whimsical, dark and funny at the same time. The inspiration for Cutler's work seems to come from a variety of sources. She draws from fairy tales, folk tales, current events, stories and her own imagination which create an amazing combination of realness and creativity. A lot of Cutler's works have "folk" looking women (refering to their style of dress and hair) performing different tasks some of which seem a bit bizarre.
When I was researching Cutler someone stated that the reoccuring themes in her work are "transformation and evolution". I could see that but in my opinion most common viewers of her work are probably going to pick up more on the whimsical funny side of her pieces. That might be a bit complex for viewers.
Cutler pays a lot of attention to detail and shows a lot of control in her pieces. She creates mostly paintings, drawings and prints.
I really like this artist. I love the feeling I get when I look at her pieces. They make me smile. I also love her just because she studied in Germany and I'm a bit jealous of that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment