Friday, August 20, 2010

Edward Gorey






I've always been a fan of Edward Gorey's work. His work is a bit sarcastic like me and very cartoon-y. I love illustration and Gorey's seems reminiscent of Tim Burtons. I also love that Gorey has his own style that can definitely be seen. Gorey is known most for his book illustrations. He was pretty much always an illustrator and often worked under aliases of his name scrambled. Gorey's work oftentimes has a Victorian or Edwardian feel which adds to the story like quality of his works. Gorey classifies his own work as "literary nonsense" and refuses to accept that his work is "Gothic". Gorey works mostly with pen and ink and very rarely in color. Most of his illustrations are simply black and white. I think this palette helps because it doesn't distract from his drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment