Friday, August 20, 2010

John Bankston




John Bankston 's remind me of coloring book pages. I read that his pieces are suppose to "evoke a world of cyberfiction, slave narratives, fairy tales and leather-bar fantasies". I also read that Bankston was drawn to this "coloring book" style because coloring books allow for a narrative. The color in his pieces are also important as in a coloring book. Certain colors can either make or break the piece. I thought it was interesting that before his pieces were started he would stain his paper with coffee grounds to create that kind of yellow-ish worn in tint that most coloring books have.

Overall I don't really have the same emotional reaction from his pieces as I have from some of the other artists. I do appreciate the originality of his coloring book idea but other than that I probably would not research this artist on my own.

1 comment:

  1. I love his work. He has a sort of gay outsider type feeling to his works.

    ReplyDelete