Monday, August 2, 2010

David Humphrey






David Humphrey was born in 1955 and currently lives in New York. He creates paintings, drawings and installations. His installation "snowman in love" made me laugh a bit. He tied 6 or more inflatable snowmen together as well as snowman paintings other inflatable snowmen. I like that many of his works have a sense of humor and fun to them. I also like that they're a bit complex and there's a lot to look at. he also has a book of his artwork and words.

Humphrey stated: "My paintings are frequently depictions of depictions. I will copy an amateur painting, for instance, the way a band might cover a song written by someone else, or the way a singer renders an old chestnut. I try to get inside the other person's point of view to stretch my own. Sometimes the preexisting image, like an eccentrically generic landscape, will provide a location for one of my paintings. Sometimes a sad clown or beloved pet painting will provide the protagonist. My handmade renditions, though, take a lot of liberties with the originals. I will add characters or exaggerate and mutate elements. But the work will evolve from contact with the original and will carry iconographic elements, and sometimes feelings, into the finished state."

Humphrey gathers inspiration from flea markets, antique stores and the internet. He also mentioned being influenced by eisenhower's work of creating drawings based on greeting cards. He believes that he does something similar.

I like the contained craziness of his pieces and his use of color. His pieces don't seem too formal but they do show thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment