Friday, August 20, 2010

Elizabeth Murray




I've studied Elizabeth Murray before. I love the playfulness and colors of her pieces. I also like the fact that they look put together much like a collage.

Murray is an American painter who is known for her colorful and crazy shaped pieces. She plays with space by often cutting holes in her pieces creating negative space and raising them so that they're not flat against a wall. Murray incorporates common household objects such as cups and spoons as well as cartoon figures. She draws inspiration form expressionists. I can also see a bit of abstraction, surrealism and pop art influence in her pieces.

Her pieces are very popular and can be found in many collections. I remember her piece was on the cover of our 2d book too.

No comments:

Post a Comment