Friday, August 20, 2010

Joe Brainard






Joe Brainard's work really attracted me in the beginning. It's more collage like, humorous and has some drawings as well. I think I like his work because it's pretty and comprehendable. His pieces just make me smile and if someones work makes me smile then I like it :)

Brainard works mostly with assemblages, collages, drawing, and painting,but does some designs for book and album covers, theatrical sets and costumes. A lot of his pieces have pop art references, especially his "Nancy" pieces. Unlike the complex emotion in many of the other artists i've looked at it seems that Brainard's pieces are a bit more light and airy. I don't want to say that they require less thought but I do think that they are more relate able to everyday people. They just seem like pieces that someone would do just for fun, not necessarily to promote some message. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

"Brainard's drawings, collages, assemblages, and paintings are in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum, the Whitney Museum, the Utah Museum of Fine Arts, Yale University Art Museum, and the Joe Brainard Archive at the University of California, San Diego, as well as in many private and corporate collections
."

1 comment:

  1. I think you might find that the last collage is actually by the artist known as Jess. :-)

    ReplyDelete