Friday, August 20, 2010

Hope Kroll





Hope Kroll an American artist works mostly with collage. He uses old magazines and books and often incorporates birds or insects into her pieces. She juxtaposes them againsts geometric, harsh machinery as well as grotesque medical images of humans. Her pieces are often created on pages of old books as well as placed on antique covers.

Kroll best describes what her pieces are about. She stated "Birds are a repeated theme throughout my work, often representing spiritual messengers, while my machines tend to reflect my own inner turmoil and conflict particularly in dealing with the outside world. My use of small children generally expresses more of a personal narrative, hailing back to early childhood fears and nightmares. The fact that the finished pieces are generally quite small allows me to add a wealth of subtle, intricate details."

I love her pieces because they're unique. I love birds and how she's juxtaposed them. I also really like the simplicity of her pieces such as the fact that she doesn't overpower them with tons of colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment