Friday, August 20, 2010

Dick Allowatt





I would consider Dick Allowatt's work more assemblage than collage. it seems to be a good mixture of the two. This is kind of how I wanted to mix mediums for my senior sem works. Allowatt worked as a graphic designer for many years and is just recently beginning to create more 3D works. Allowatt works mostly with found objects and vintage books and explores the relationships that can be created between the two.

I like his pieces but they don't really evoke anything out of me other than oh that's pretty or cool. I even read in an interview by the artist that some of his pieces have no meaning. That way he leaves it up to the viewer. I can understand this but it also makes him sound like he just stumbled upon his artwork.

I do love his use of found objects though. I hope that I can incorporate found objects into my pieces. I like collages that are a bit more 3D.

1 comment:

  1. Dick Allowatt's work is very sophisticated and elegant. I actually own one of his pieces and the masterful design and seamless juxtapositions can only be described as outstanding.

    It's my interpretation that the artist chooses here not to draw the correlations *for* you.

    I also infer -- from what I believe may have been the same interview that you read -- that though he may have a specific symbolism in mind when he creates the works, you are entirely free to create your own vocabulary of images and meanings, separately or together.

    I don't really believe the work has no meaning -- I just think he has no need to tell the viewer what to feel.

    If the work stirs a sense of admiration or acknowledgment of beauty, then it is in fact a response you are having to the work. Subtlety can be a powerful voice. I wouldn't underestimate it. :)

    ReplyDelete