Monday, May 17, 2010

Sean Landers

“My original idea was to make conceptual art entertaining, sloppy, emotional, human and funny. Over the years I got so far out on this conceptual limb that I went around full circle until I was a traditional artist again. I tried to be ironic about it but eventually became sincere. Now I’m a happy victim of my own charade. I figure that it’s better to be a sucker who makes something than a wise guy who is too cautious to make anything at all.”
When i first google imaged this man I was a bit confused as to what his artwork was all about because he was so over the place. I saw an abundance of "word" art, using text to create a message as well as some surrealistic looking paintings. I also saw monkey sculptures and wax nudes. I though to myself this man is all over the place but one thing you can tell throughout all his work is that he definitely has an opinion and a sense of humor in what he creates. Thats why when i read this quote from him it made sense. I can identify with some of his ideas. My work is oftentimes not as neat as it could be but I think it contains emotion or humor. I think that's the whole reason to create art anyway. we create it when we're emotional and we want to evoke an emotion with our work. It is a bit difficult to completely identify with this artist. he seems a bit on the crazy side for me but that's because I can't really find that much about him other than that he hit it big in the 90's and doesn't stick to one medium. His performance pieces and installations as well as his nude series in a forest made me laugh though at their ridiculousness but maybe that's the point.



2 comments:

  1. haha! Glad you like him. One of my favorite ones is the breast painting. He also did a series of pages in old Spin magazines, you might want to look those up, they are hilarious if you read the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, mostly he is known for his word paintings, focus on those.

    ReplyDelete